About Smart Cards : Applications : Healthcare
Health care organizations worldwide are implementing smart health cards supporting a wide variety of features and applications. Smart health cards can improve the security and privacy of patient information, provide the secure carrier for portable medical records, reduce healthcare fraud, support new processes for portable medical records, provide secure access to emergency medical information, enable compliance with government initiatives and mandates, and provide the platform to implement other applications as needed by the healthcare organization.
- HIPAA Compliance and Smart Cards: Solutions to Privacy and Security Requirements. This report describes how smart cards can be used to meet HIPAA Security Rule and Privacy Rule requirements.
- Smart Card Alliance Healthcare Council
- Smart Card Applications in the U.S. Healthcare Industry. This report describes the value that smart cards deliver in a variety of U.S. healthcare applications. The report reviews key challenges that the U.S. healthcare provider industry faces and examines the key drivers for implementing smart card-based systems to address these challenges.
- Smart Cards in U.S. Healthcare: Benefits for Patients, Providers and Payers. The paper describes the challenges within the healthcare industry and the clear opportunities for the use of smart card technology for security and privacy in healthcare. The paper examines smart card use in healthcare today and suggests additional applications for consideration.
The following profiles and resources showcase how organizations can successfully use smart cards for a wide variety of healthcare applications.
- Florida eLife-Card Smart Card
- Mount Sinai Medical Center and Elmhurst Hospital Center
- Queens Health Network
- Southeast Texas Hospital System
- Texas Medicaid
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
The Smart Card Alliance Healthcare Council offers additional resources for organizations implementing smart cards in healthcare applications.