Alliance Activities : Overview
Latin America Industry Councils
- Financial Payments Council: To promote the understanding of the benefits using smart cards in the financial sector.
- Physical Access Council: To help expand the knowledge and advantages of using smart cards for access control in the security industry.
- Transportation Council: To encourage the modernization of transportation systems through the use of smart card technology
- Media Outreach Council: To provide information to the vertical markets influenced by smart cards through articles and publications.
- Government Information Exchange: To exchange information among different government institutions in the region regarding the use of smart cards in helping to improving government services.
U.S. Hosted Smart Card Alliance Conferences
The Alliance hosts two important industry conferences each year–the Smart Card Alliance Annual Conference in the Spring and the Smart Cards in Government Conference in the Fall–in addition to periodic in-person council meetings and web seminars. These popular events attract a broad audience to learn about new smart card initiatives, applications and technology.
Beginning in 2008, The Smart Card Alliance Annual Conference has joined with the CTST 2008–The Americas Conference, produced by SourceMedia and celebrating its 18th year of being the leading conference and exposition event for the payments and security markets. This combined event is the largest smart card and application focused conference and exhibition in North America and Latin America. The Smart Card Alliance has assumed full control of the conference programming, educational workshops, keynote speakers, and birds-of-a-feather discussion sessions. SourceMedia will manage the meeting facilities, exhibition hall, event marketing, and registration. Together, this partnership leverages the strengths of both organizations and creates a showcase event for the industry. The CTST 2008 / Smart Card Alliance Annual Conference agenda focuses on four main industry tracks, Payments & Applications, Identification & Policy, Mobile & NFC, and Security & Access Control. In addition, two mini-tracks have been added for day-long sessions focused on Emerging Technology and Innovations and Latin America. All of the sessions will look at new technological innovations and applications, and use cases, with end users sharing real-life experiences. Sessions will also feature international examples of the latest industry trends for faster, more capable, and more secure payments and access security solutions to meet changing market demands.
The Smart Cards in Government Conference has been shifted to the Fall beginning in 2008. This event focuses on the massive deployments of smart cards in government programs worldwide. Each year, the smart card industry gathers in Washington, DC, to hear from government leaders and industry professionals on what is happening in this rapidly moving and changing security and identity credential industry segment. This event also features an exhibit hall that provides vendors with the opportunity to demonstrate their industry-leading technology to a large body of government decision makers and end-users.
Additional members-only events are held to provide our Industry Councils, who normally work via teleconference, with the opportunity to meet in-person to discuss new ideas and present committee work to the larger Alliance organization. The Alliance also sponsors periodic web seminars and briefings on topics of interest to the industry.
Latin America Hosted Smart Card Alliance Conferences
The Smart Card Alliance holds three conferences per year: the Smart Cards in Government Conference in the spring, Smart Cards for Government & Payments in the summer (Mexico), and the cross-industry Annual Conference in the fall: and periodic SmartTalk web seminars. These events are designed to provide information to attendees that will assist them in the development and implementation of smart card initiatives.
The Educational Institute was launched in 1996 to meet the increased demand for smart card educational resources. The Educational Institute engages industry professionals to provide objective and timely educational programs on smart cards, related technologies and smart card-enabled applications. Workshops are developed and delivered at Smart Card Alliance conferences and at selected industry vertical events internationally.
The Educational Institute provides the following courses (members pay discounted rate):
- EI 101: Introduction to Smart Cards
- EI 201: Advanced Business of Smart Cards
- EI 301: Smart Cards for Physical Access Control – Latin A. Chapter
- EI 302: Smart Cards for Digital Signature – Latin A. Chapter
- Card Technology Workshop
White Papers in Spanish and Portuguese
- Identity Management Systems (2006), Spanish, Portuguese
- Building a Chain of Trust (2006), Spanish, Portuguese
- Secure Physical Access (2006), Spanish, Portuguese
- Logical Access Security (2006), Spanish, Portuguese
- Smart Cards and Parking (2006), Spanish, Portuguese
Latin American Smart Card Alliance Supported Conferences
- Cards 2009: São Paulo, Brazil
- 6th CertForum: Brasília, Brazil
- Cartes 2009
Latin American Hosted Event
- Smart Cards in Government – Latin America
January 2010 – Guatemala
- C4 – SCALA Annual conference
Smart Card Alliance Web Site (some resources are password-protected)
- The smart card industry “go to” resource, averaging 500,000 hits per month
- Online Smart Card Reader Catalog providing searchable database of reader manufacturers
- Product & Services directory is found at: http://www.smartcardalliance.org/member
- Industry news releases from member organizations accessible from the home page
- Industry contact list (members-only)
- Dozens of primers, profiles, backgrounders and resource lists
- Industry event calendar and online event registration
- Industry reports, white papers, and case studies
- Member directory with descriptions and links to Leadership Council-level members
- Minutes and research from council and task force meetings and initiatives
- Past conference speaker presentations (members only)
- Past Alliance monthly newsletters with organizational announcements and industry news
- Position statements on security threats related to smart cards
- Links to government and commercial web sites to provide additional industry information